Swing, hop and leap! Animal exercises are a fun and relaxed approach to introducing a structured physical activity and positive outlook on exercise for children.
- Animal Exercise Instructions
- Mat or blanket to stand on (Optional)
- Timer (Optional)
- Sticky tape
- This activity is best performed in a spacious room or in the backyard.
- Create separate stations by spreading out and taping your ‘Animal Exercise’ instructions to the wall, fence, tree, etc. Tape the instructions at eye-level for your child to see.
- Ensure your child’s shoes are tied and they are wearing comfortable clothing.
- Have drinking water readily available.
Let’s get moving
- Read the instructions together with your child and observe how they perform the movements on their own.
- If they are struggling to follow the instructions, demonstrate the movement and ask them to copy you. Don’t worry if it isn’t perfect. Each movement can be measured in multiple ways. For example:
- Duration ‘Elephant Trunk Swing for 30 seconds’
- Distance ‘Bear Crawl to the end of the yard’
- Repetitions ‘Do 10 Frog Jumps’
- Have a practice round first. Continue the next round by completing all movements sequentially, stopping to rest between movements.
- Provide positive feedback as they perform each of the movements and help to correct their technique as required.
- Increase or decrease the complexity, i.e. duration, distance, repetitions of the movements based on your child’s age and ability level.
SAFETY FIRST – Always check the room to make sure sharp objects and harmful items are put away (i.e. cords from lamps, glass objects on tables, loose items that may fall or topple over, etc.).
Increase the fun
Challenge your child to think of other animal movements which they can mimic. For example, if your child’s favourite animal is a dolphin, ask them to move like a dolphin. This encourages creative thinking and makes exercise fun.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 35 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.