Ages: 2.5 – 6 years
Building a teepee outdoors is a great way to engage with your child in imaginative play. As they bend and crawl in and out of the teepee, they will develop balance, coordination, and gross-motor skills while experiencing a sense of security and safety.
- 4 equal length wooden or plastic support poles (preferably the height of your child)
- Old large bed sheet
- String, twine, or rope
- Blankets and pillows
- Non-toxic paint and paintbrush
- Coloured pens
- Flashlight or sensory lamp
- Children’s books or puzzles
- For the support poles, use 4 equal length wooden or plastic poles.
- Spread the poles out at even intervals and tie them together where they meet at the top of the structure with string, twine, or rope.
- Drape the sheet over the support poles and secure.
- The ends of the bedsheet will create the door at the front of the teepee.
- Use pillows and blankets for comfortable flooring.
- Make your teepee extra cozy with flashlights or sensory lamps.
Tips to increase the fun
- Decorate the teepee – Use paint or coloured markers to decorate the outside of your teepee with indigenous symbols and markings. To avoid permanent markings on your bedsheets, make the symbols on paper, cut out the shapes and use a safety pin or masking tape to adhere to the teepee.
- Teepee story time – Now that your teepee is successfully constructed, why not invite the rest of the family for snacks and story time?
At Learning Jungle, we believe all children are capable, confident and full of potential. Co-learning empowers your child to take initiative. Encouraging child participation and engaging in open-ended, thought-provoking conversation throughout play is important for healthy child development.
Conversations with your child
How would you like to decorate your teepee?
Can you show me what’s inside your teepee?
Let’s crawl inside together!
Would you like to pick out a book to read in your teepee?
Would you like to sit inside or outside your teepee?
Let’s show daddy/mommy your teepee?
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.