Button Tree Ornament
Spare no buttons. This creative activity develops hand-eye coordination and is a great opportunity for families to personalize their own home ornaments.
- 10 to 12 buttons (various sizes)
- 4 to 6 small buttons (similar size)
- Sewing thread (20″ to 24″)
This activity is open to your child’s creativity and imagination. Some ideas include: Santa Claus, snowman, snowflakes… be adventurous and experiment with buttons of different sizes, shapes and colours.
Set-up to make a tree ornament
- Have your child lay out the buttons in a row; organizing them smallest to largest. This will represent your tree.
- Layout your small buttons of equal size and set aside. This will be the base of your tree.
- Cut a long piece of thread, about 24″ to 28″.
- Starting with the smallest button, insert your thread through one hole and continue to thread the remaining buttons until you have reached your largest button
- Once the largest button has been threaded, start threading the small buttons you selected as your tree base.
- Using the adjacent holes, insert your thread back through each of the buttons. A simple trick to threading back up the buttons is to loosely lay out the threaded buttons on a smooth surface. This will allow you to manoeuvre the thread through each button.
- Once you reach back up to the top, carefully lift up both threads to position the buttons tightly together. Secure with a knot.
- Use the remaining loose threads to create a loop to hang your ornament.
At Learning Jungle, we believe all children are capable, confident and full of potential. Co-learning empowers your child to take initiative. Encouraging child participation and engaging in open-ended, thought-provoking conversation throughout play is important for healthy child development.
Conversations with your child
- Can you arrange the buttons smallest to largest?
- Which button do we have to thread first?
- What buttons go at the bottom of the tree?
- Try to thread each of the buttons
- Where should we hang your button ornament?
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.