Climb a Mountain
Ages: 6-18 months
Let’s go mountain climbing! Arrange everyday household items in a way that stimulates your child’s innate desire to climb and explore. This activity will help develop their physical skills, self-confidence and problem-solving ability.
Climb a Mountain Ideas
Every mountain is different depending on what you have available in your home. Here are some ideas to start you off.
- Couch cushions
- Bean bag
- Footstool (Optional)
- Laundry basket (Optional)
- Stack items such as couch cushions and pillows next to the couch to act as stepping stones for your child to climb up.
- Create a soft landing by covering the floor with blankets and cushions. Assist your child to jump from small heights.
- Use cushions and blankets to make a tunnel maze for them to crawl through.
- Stay close while encouraging them to balance themselves upright by holding onto chairs and footstools.
- Scatter some of your child’s toys throughout the room and ask them to find and collect them.
SAFETY FIRST – Always check the room to make sure sharp objects and harmful items are put away (ie. cords from lamps, glass objects on tables, loose items that may fall or topple over, etc.).
Remain within arms length of your child when conducting this activity.
- For older infants, aim to make use of the whole house and incorporate stairs into the activity.
- If weather permits, why not take the activity outside to the backyard.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 28 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.