Colour Matching Wheel
Language & Literacy
A Pinch of Colour! This activity will help your child to identify primary colours and colour names, while simultaneously developing their fine-motor skills and pincer grasp.
- Cardboard (A cereal box works well for this)
- A plate to trace the colour wheel
- Coloured pens, pencils, or crayons
- 18 – 24 wooden clothespins
- Container to store the clothespins
- Ruler and pencil
- Create your colour matching wheel by tracing a circle onto the cardboard using your plate.
- Cut out the circle and divide the circle into 6 sections.
- Colour each section with a primary colour (red, yellow, blue, green, orange, and purple); allow your child to help with colouring.
- Colour the tips of each clothespin to match the colours on your wheel.
Time for Colour Matching
- Let your child use their finger strength to open and clamp shut the coloured clothespin to the matching colour on the wheel.
- If your child is having difficulty, demonstrate with an example.
- Encourage your child to match all the clothespins with the colours on the wheel.
At Learning Jungle, we believe all children are capable, confident and full of potential. Co-learning empowers your child to take initiative. Encouraging child participation and engaging in open-ended, thought-provoking conversation throughout play is important for healthy child development.
Conversations with your child
- Can you match all the blue clothespins?
- Squeeze on the clothespin to open it
- How does your fingers feel?
- What is your favourite colour?
- Try to match all the colours
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.