Crossing the River
2.5 – 4 years
Watch your step! All big adventures start with small steps. This imaginative play activity requires your child to problem solve while simultaneously engaging in crouching, twisting, and balancing movements.
- 2 Cushions or pillows = Stepping stones
- Blue towels or blankets = River (Optional)
We recommend performing this activity on carpet if your floor or pillows are slippery.
The goal is to cross the river using only 2 stepping stones.
- Begin by stepping from one stepping stone to the next without falling into the river.
- Retrieve the previous stepping stone and place it in front of you. Continue moving forward and retrieving the stepping stone until you have safely crossed the river.
- If you fall into the river, return to the beginning and start again.
SAFETY FIRST – Always check the room to make sure sharp objects and harmful items are put away (I.e. cords from lamps, glass objects on tables, loose items that may fall or topple over, etc.).
Increase the fun
Place blue towels or blankets on the floor to create a river.
For younger children, pretend there are crocodiles in the river and create an adventurous story to go along with the activity.
For older children, make the activity more challenging by increasing the width of the river and asking them to hold an object, e.g. a toy, while crossing the river.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.