Fire Breathing Dragon
4 – 6 years
Happy New Year 新年快乐! Introduce your child to the customs of Chinese New Year with this fire breathing dragon craft. This activity helps develop fine-motor skills and is great for promoting imaginative play.
- Cardboard tube (paper towel roll)
- 1 piece of coloured construction paper
- 2 large pop poms (eyes)
- 2 small pom poms (nose)
- 3 sheets of tissue paper (orange, red and yellow)
- Googly eyes (optional)
- Glue stick
- Bottled children’s craft glue
Make your Dragon
- Begin by cutting the cardboard tube in half.
- Cut a piece of construction paper the length and circumference of the tube, then glue the construction paper around the tube using the glue stick.
- Give your dragon some eyes by placing a small drop of craft glue on each of the large pom poms and placing them side-by-side at one end of your tube. This will be the head of your dragon. Optional: Add some googly eyes to the large pom poms.
- Create the dragon nose, by gluing two smaller pom poms, side-by-side, at the opposite end (mouth) of the tube. Be sure to place them on the same side as the eyes.
Create the fire
- Begin by cutting strips of orange, red and yellow tissue paper (1” wide x 10” long).
- Apply glue around the inside of the tube (the side where the two smaller pom poms are located).
- Stick one end of each coloured strip to the inside of the tube and let dry for 5 minutes. Be sure to cover with lots of strips and avoid leaving any gaps.
- Take a deep breath and blow through the end of the tube where the dragon’s eyes are and watch as the flames come to life. The air will catch the paper as it escapes and the strips will flutter.
Increase the fun
Create an exciting, animated story about a ferocious fire breathing dragon and share it with your whole family. Be sure to give your child plenty of opportunities to breathe fire using their dragon.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 35 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.