Mason Jar Luminaries – Halloween Activity
Spook-tacular! Spook up your house this Halloween with some festive ‘Mason Jar Luminaries’. This activity helps develop fine-motor and problem-solving skills and is great for promoting imaginative play.
- Mason Jars
- Battery-operated twinkle lights or tea lights (for safety, DO NOT use real candles)
- Coloured tissue paper
- Black construction paper
- Children’s glue
- Black marker
- Non-toxic paint
- Paint brushes
Other optional materials
- 1 gauze bandage roll
- Googly eye
This activity is open to your child’s creativity and imagination. Some ideas include: Frankenstein, mummies, ghosts, jack-o’-lanterns and vampires…be adventurous and experiment with different colour combinations!
Assembling your Luminary
- Start by cutting out facial features, i.e. eyes, mouth, fangs, etc. from black construction paper.
- Style your mason jar by painting the jar, and/or
- Brush the exterior of the jar with a thin layer of glue and cover with strips of coloured tissue paper (or other translucent materials). For example, when creating a ‘Frankenstein Luminaire’, use strips of green tissue paper.
- After the paint has dried and the materials have set, glue the facial features to your luminaire.
- Use a marker to draw facial expressions to give your luminary more character.
- Place a battery-operated twinkle lights or tea light inside to give it an eerie glow!
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.