Math & Science
2.5 years +
Get digging! Set your little archaeologist of on a mission to save their toys. This activity is great for imaginative play and will help develop your child’s fine-motor and problem-solving skills.
- Medium to large bucket, basin, or bowl
- A variety of small, colourful, water-safe toys
- Spray bottle with warm water
- Turkey baster (Optional)
- Choose a bucket which will fit inside your freezer.
- Fill the bucket with cold water and let your child add a variety of their small toys to the bucket.
- Place the bucket in the freezer. The ice should be fully set in 24 hours.
- Take the ice block outside as the activity will get messy.
- Allow your child to break, melt and chip the ice to uncover their toys.
- Spray the ice with warm water or apply some salt to help with the melting process.
- Be sure to clean all the toys after the activity is finished.
SAFETY FIRST – Older children may wish to use a small hammer or similar tool to help chip away at the ice. Parents who choose this option should monitor the activity closely and assist their child to use the tool.
At Learning Jungle, we believe all children are capable, confident and full of potential. Co-learning empowers your child to take initiative. Encouraging child participation and engaging in open-ended, thought-provoking conversation throughout play is important for healthy child development.
Conversations with your child
- Do you know what archaeologists do?
- Can you find some toys to put in the bucket?
- How does the ice feel?
- Can you spray the ice with some warm water?
- Try to break the ice with your tools!
- Can you see your toys yet?
- Try to get all your toys out!
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.