Just for Kicks
Ages: 4-6 months
Kick back and relax! The physical and auditory sensations experienced through this activity will help your infant learn the concept of cause and effect and is also great for strengthening lower leg muscles.
- Sheets of colourful tissue paper (wrapping paper or cello sheets are a great alternative)
- Small pillow or baby blanket
- Sticky tape
- Prepare a ‘parcel’ by wrapping a small pillow or baby blanket with colourful tissue paper, securing it in place with sticky tape.
- Position the parcel against a solid structure like a wall or couch to prevent it moving.
- Lay your child on a blanket on their back and position the parcel just beneath their lower legs and feet.
- Encourage your child to begin kicking the parcel by rustling the paper, or gently moving their legs up and down onto the parcel.
- Try not to make the parcel too large. A smaller parcel will allow your child to kick with more momentum.
- Try placing the parcel underneath a bouncer for added fun.
SAFETY FIRST – Place a blanket underneath the parcel and discard the tissue paper once the activity is finished.
At Learning Jungle, we believe all children are capable, confident and full of potential. Co-learning empowers your child to take initiative. Encouraging child participation and engaging in open-ended, thought-provoking conversation throughout play is important for healthy child development.
Conversations with your child
- Nice kicking.
- Use exaggerated facial expressions and body language.
- Clap and give praise as your child performs the action.
- Your legs will be so strong.
- Try to kick harder.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.