Marshmallow Connect and Build
4 – 6 years
Connect and build. This is a fun and simple STEM project. Learn the concept of design, shape, and building structures with this open-ended activity. This activity develops higher critical thinking as well as problem solving skills.
- Bag of marshmallows (Large and Small)
- One package of wooden toothpicks
- Tray (optional for storage)
Set up the environment
Lay out toothpicks and marshmallows into separate piles on the tray.
How to Build
- Stick a toothpick partly into a marshmallow.
- Stick another marshmallow at the other end of the same toothpick.
- Show your child how two-dimensional shapes can be formed by putting the toothpicks and marshmallows together (e.g square, pentagon, hexagon, etc.).
- The two-dimensional shapes can then be turned into three-dimensional shapes by connecting another toothpick to the side of the marshmallow and repeating the process to add more sides.
- Experiment and have fun by incorporating different-sized marshmallows into your structure, or insert multiple toothpicks into one marshmallow to make different shapes.
Once your child understands how to makes different shapes, allow them to create their own creative designs.
This is an open-ended activity that allows children to build and rebuild.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.