Rain Cloud Science Experiment
Math & Science
2.5 – 4 years
Here comes the rain. Explore clouds and rain in a hands-on, engaging way. This experiment recreates the wonders of the weather system, encouraging positive exploration and inquiry.
- Two small containers or bowls
- Shaving foam
- Blue food colouring
- Eye dropper or plastic pipette
Setting up the Experiment
- In one small container, add water and a few drops of blue food colouring. This represents rain.
- Fill the second small container with water, stopping around 1″ from the rim.
- Add a thick layer of shaving foam on top of the water. The shaving foam represents a cloud, and the water is the atmosphere.
Conducting the Experiment
- Using the eye dropper, slowly release the blue-coloured water drops onto the shaving foam. Repeat a few times and pay attention to what happens below the foam.
- The blue-coloured water will slowly seep through the foam and mimic the look of rain.
Once you have completed the experiment, go outdoors and look up at the clouds. Explain to your child how the experiment represents real-life clouds.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 35 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.