Sensory Writing Bag
Language & Literacy
Sen-sational! Sensory writing bags are a great alternative to pen and paper. They can be used to assist early learners with scribbling, and making attempts at forming letters and numbers, and can be used many times over.
- Large zip-lock bag
- Shaving foam
- Non-toxic paint (Preferably one colour)
- Cotton swabs
- Sticky tape
- Cookie cutters (Optional)
- Pour a small amount (approx. one teaspoon) of paint into your zip-lock bag.
- Spray shaving foam into your bag; spray just enough foam to completely cover the surface of the bag.
- Remove excess air by gently pressing down on the bag while simultaneously sealing the lip of the bag as you press.
- To ensure the contents of the bag does not leak, strengthen the seal with sticky tape.
- Allow your child to begin massaging the bag so the colour mixes with the shaving foam.
Enjoying the Activity
- Your child can either use a cotton swab or their fingers to write on the bag. Encourage them to draw, scribble, and to attempt writing formal letters and numbers.
- Use letters or cookie cutters to print and make indentations in the shaving foam.
- To reset the foam, simply press down on the bag and clear the indentations. This activity can be enjoyed over and over again.
For older children, try writing and learning complete words and numbers using your sensory writing bag.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 35 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.