Ages: 2.5 years +
Find your green thumb. Beyond the benefits of fresh air and physical activity, gardening provides a calming environment where your child can exercise their attention span and learn to be patient and responsible.
Suggested gardening supplies
- Plant pot or plastic/paper cups
- Garden tools
- Seeds for planting
- Watering can
Choosing an area to garden
- No large green space is required for this activity. Make use of the space you have.
- Use your front/back yard, balcony, or any other outdoor space available to you.
- Dedicate a small space for your child to garden, this could potentially be an old sandbox which they have outgrown.
Getting your hands dirty
- For older children, allow them to get their hands dirty by scooping the compost either into their plant pot or space in the garden.
- Encourage your child to pick and drop the seeds into the soil and cover by hand.
- Demonstrate this process if you child is struggling to perform the task.
- Assist your child to water the seeds. Use a watering can if available.
Increase the fun
For younger infants, why not try a mud walk?
In the backyard, simply make a small pathway using compost about 1-metre x 1-metre. Soak the compost with lukewarm water and assist your child to walk across it barefoot. The feeling of the soft and squidgy compost between there toes is a great sensation and will be a brand-new experience for your child.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 28 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.