Find the Sight Words
Language & Literacy
On your mark, get set, READ! This activity can significantly improve your child’s reading fluency and comprehension, and will allow them to devote their energy to decoding more difficult words.
Coloured pens, pencils or crayons
Masking tape OR sticky tape
- If you do not have a single large piece of paper, you can join multiple letter-size paper together using sticky tape.
- Write out a large variety of sight words on the paper. Write the words in various colours and in different directions, i.e. horizontally, diagonally, etc.
- Tape the paper to the wall using masking tape.
Sight word examples
Are. And. Of. The. But. Not. What. Were. Can. How. To, etc.
Finding the sight words
- Choose 7 to 10 sight words for your child to find.
- Call out these sight words and ask your child to circle them.
- Ask your child to read out the sight word(s) each time they find and circle them.
Increase or decrease the complexity of the ‘words’ to suit your child’s age and reading ability. For older children, ask them to start defining the words as they find them.
Why use sight words?
Sight words are words that should be memorized to help your child learn to read and write. Learning sight words allows your child to recognize these words at a glance, on sight, without needing to break the words down into their individual letters. Knowing common words by sight makes reading easier and faster, because your child does not need to stop and sound out each individual word, letter by letter.
At Learning Jungle, we believe all children are capable, confident and full of potential. Co-learning empowers your child to take initiative. Encouraging child participation and engaging in open-ended, thought-provoking conversation throughout play is important for healthy child development.
Conversations with your child
Can you find the word “How”?
Look at all the words very carefully!
Don’t rush. Take your time!
Can you read out the word when you find it?
Your all done. Can you read out all the words you found?
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.