Spelling with Loose Parts
Language & Literacy
Ages: 2.5-4 years
Spelling and art come together. Using loose parts around the home, this simple exercise can improve your child’s vocabulary and letter recognition.
- Loose parts (ie. buttons, coins, beads, stones, clothes pegs, etc.)
- Plain paper or construction paper
- Pen, pencil or marker
- Cut small cue cards and print words or letters on each card. Begin with your child’s name and progress to more complex words.
- On a larger piece of paper, encourage your child to place the loose parts on the paper to spell out the word or letter.
At Learning Jungle, we believe all children are capable, confident and full of potential. Co-learning empowers your child to take initiative. Encouraging child participation and engaging in open-ended, thought-provoking conversation throughout play is important for healthy child development.
Conversations with your child
- Can you identify this letter?
- What did we just spell?
- Can you think of a word to spell?
- Let’s try the same word using different loose parts.
- Discuss the physical properties of each loose part.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 51 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.