Math & Sciences
Let your imagination sail. Throughout the process of building and playing with the sailboat, this playful water activity introduces your child to basic sailboat parts and sailing concepts such as sailboat buoyancy, wind direction, and windspeed.
- Dish sponge (hull)
- Wooden skewer (mast)
- Construction paper (mainsail)
- Coloured pens, pencils, or crayons (Optional)
- Begin by cutting your wooden skewer (approx. 14cm).
- Create your mainsail by cutting a right angle from the construction paper.
- Poke the skewer threw the bottom and top of your mainsail. Your sail should be curved.
- Place the skewer through the centre of the sponge allowing it to protrude through the bottom (about 1cm).
Time to Sail
- Fill a container with water.
- Place your sailboat in the water and let the sponge absorb some water before letting go. Do not completely submerge the sponge.
- Adjust the skewer up and down through the sponge for optimal buoyancy.
- Take your sailboat outside and allow the wind to naturally direct its course.
Increase the Fun
Decorate your sail with colourful designs and invite friends and family along for a sailing race.
We would love to meet you
We currently have 28 locations in 5 countries. Our child care facilities offer tours throughout the year.
We invite you to visit a location near you.